Monday, February 7, 2011

Lost in Transition

So it's Monday, and I guess it's back to badgering any one I can about my visa. I emailed the consulate this afternoon and heard back once again that my "visa application is still in the process". I never want to see or hear those words again after this whole experience.

I did learn something on Friday, though, that can help to explain why it is taking so long to process my visa. Apparently the Czech Republic has changed which department handles visa applications and residency requests. Until this January, the Foreign Police were responsible for processing visa applications. The Ministry of the Interior is now in charge of them, which actually makes more sense. However, since they are dealing with this transition, it seems as though my visa application has been caught somewhere. Learning about this helps me to understand why the process is taking so long, but it doesn't necessarily make me feel a whole lot better about the situation I'm in. I'm still really worried about whether I'll get my visa in time, and if I will be able to go at all. Everyone keeps telling me that it will be ready in time, but I can't help but be nervous about it because no one but the Foreign Police know when my visa will be approved.

I'm choosing to look at things like this: I am now apart of the transition in the Czech Republic that I have been so interested in. What my professors at MSU have said is that this is an example of big bureaucracy and little attention paid to the people and processes that get caught in the middle. I haven't learned a whole lot about the Czechs and Central Europeans as a people yet; that is what this semester is for. But I know that they are transitioning into a successful and strong new democracy and the change in visa processing is a part of it all. A professor at Palacky University told me that there was some sort of election or voting and my application got caught in the transitional period after it all. What I'd like to know is: Why did no one inform me of this transition? It makes a little more sense, now that I know about the voting, why no one (MSU, Palacky University, the consulate, the US embassy) seemed to know about the change. But I would have liked to have had this explained to me so I could prepare for it. I do plan on asking about it all when I get there - I would really like to understand why my visa, as well as those of other students trying to get to Palacky, got caught up in the transition and prevented us from leaving and starting school on time.

I'm still waiting and worrying about my visa. Hopefully I'll have good news soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment