Saturday, June 18, 2011

Prague, saying goodbye to Olomouc, and London!

*Thank you to the anonymous reader who corrected my history about the beginning of the Velvet Revolution. I knew the correct facts, but wrote this too quickly and didn't proofread. I know better now to check and double check!*

I last left you in Olomouc, and now I am back in Riihimäki, Finland after four years! It is kind of hard for me to comprehend being back here, but it actually feels like coming home. It even smells the same as I remember it… But more on Finland later! I have lots to write about, including my trips to Prague and London!

One day in Prague was, once again, not enough! At least it was an improvement from the three hours I had there four years ago. I just keep saying that now I’ll just have to come back yet again, and extend my time to spending a night there! My friend Zohre (Turkish) and I left Olomouc very early and took the train to Prague at 6 am. We were there before 9 and immediately started on our busy day! We first walked past the National Museum and found the Dancing House to take some pictures. My travel guide said that Americans see it as representing Fred and Ginger, which I suppose it could. It was a cool sight nonetheless. We then made our way down the Vlatva River and to the Old Town Square for a free tour, which was fantastic! We had a really great guide that told us the history of Prague, all the way from medieval times. It was fun for me to listen to him because he had some really great anecdotes, and I could follow right along with him once he got to 1945… I really learned some things this semester! ;-)


He took us through the Jewish Quarter, the New Town, and the Old Town. After the tour we decided to head across Charles Bridge to see the Castle and the St. Vitus Cathedral. We didn’t feel like paying for the tour, so we just let Rick Steves and his travel guide be our guide! That ended up being great and we really enjoyed the castle and the views of the city from the top of that hill.

We then walked some more, found the American Consulate for me, and went to see the Petrin Tower and get another great view of the city. We rode the funicular up the hill and found a beautiful rose garden, and found our way to the Petrin Tower that resembles the Eiffel Tower in Paris. We were quite tired from walking around the city all day, so we decided not to climb to the top, but the area around the tower was beautiful anyway.


The last things I wanted to see in Prague were a few memorials of communism. The first was one on the side of the hill near to Petrin that gives an eerie representation of the effects of communism on the human. The statues of the man begin to deteriorate as the go up the hill, but they never really die.

The other monument is a small and discreet plaque commemorating the students that protested on November 17, 1989 on the street that was filled with people asking for freedom peacefully, but were unfortunately attacked by the police (This was the beginning to what would be called the Velvet Revolution). Seeing these monuments and walking the streets where the revolution occurred was an amazing experience for me after studying the events all semester. I have been so consumed with the history of these places that it was like coming full circle and fulfilling a dream to actually stand in the places I had learned so much about.


I then found a place to drink my last glass of my favorite Czech beer, Staropramen, and we ate our last fried cheese sandwiches (best Czech fast food, as far as I’m concerned) and we caught a train back to Olomouc just past 8:00. We were exhausted, and very proud of ourselves! We saw just about the entire city. Next time I go to Prague I will make sure I spend the night and see some live music, or a concert of some sort. I am sure I can accomplish that, though. I really feel that I will be back in Central Europe soon!
That next day was my last in Olomouc, and even though it was kind of sad, I really had a good time. I went out with a few of my closest friends that were still there and ate Olomouc stinky cheese, drank Czech beer and Moravian wine, and saw the city at night for the last night. Olomouc is such a beautiful city, and I’m so thankful to have lived there for a few months. The friends I made are also very beautiful people and I will think of them and remember them for a very long time, and I truly hope to see them again some day.

It was hard to leave them, and to make my way to the airport in Brno alone… especially with all of my things from the whole semester! I was sore and tired when I finally arrived in London, but was so happy to see two good friends from high school, Josh and Calder!
Calder has been at the London School of Economics all year and he invited me to come spend some time with him to see London, and Josh happened to be coming at the same time. It was such a cool thing to be in London with two friends I hadn’t seen in such a long time! We had fun catching up, talking politics, music, and philosophy, and of course seeing the city – which without me they probably would have seen much of! We walked a lot, but also saw a lot. I regret that I was not very prepared to see London at the time, since I had focused my travels on Eastern Europe (and only had travel guides for Eastern Europe and the Czech Republic!). Since I hadn’t really read much on London, and only knew things from the movie “The Queen” and what my friends had told me, I had to do some reading and thinking when I first got there. Looking back, I’m quite happy with what I saw! And it’s true, 4 days is not enough to see all of London, but it was enough for a big taste.
We saw all the main tourist spots like Big Ben and Parliament, Westminster Abby, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Sharkespeare’s Globe Theater... and we went through Greenwich Village, Soho, and other districts of the city… but it’s so huge it is hard to keep track of everything! Calder’s dorm was right in Central London so it made it easy to get to some places, but we did take the tube quite a few times. London has a fantastic transportation system, though it is very expensive. That was definitely a change from being in Central/Eastern Europe – everything is more expensive, but labeled better and seems safer - as far as transportation goes, at least. It was interesting for me to go to London from living in the Czech Republic… I will probably comment on some observations of West and East at some point in time… so maybe you can look forward to that in the future ☺.
Josh and I were really lucky, and a friend of Calder’s had two tickets for standing at the Globe Theater! We rushed to get them and were delighted to see a performance of “All’s Well That Ends Well”. It was absolutely incredible seeing Shakespeare at the Globe (though it is a recreation, the original was burned down). I had never seen Shakespeare performed professionally, and this was the real deal! I’m so thankful to have had that opportunity… and for only 5 pounds! Totally worth that small amount, and standing the whole time!


It did rain the day we went to Buckingham Palace and Parliament, but it wouldn’t be London without a day of rain. We did our best to stay dry, and luckily it was still pretty warm outside. That night we ate delicious Indian food… because again, it wouldn’t be London without Indian food!
The next day we saw the British Library, which had an awesome exhibit about science fiction, and I was lucky enough to meet up with a friend from MSU! Mike has been studying in Lancaster this semester, and we ended up going to London at the same time. I’m so excited about how many friends I saw from home while I was over here! It’s such a small world! We walked around the city and saw Hyde Park and had a few beers in a nice pub before making dinner and going to a great jazz club. I was very excited to see some good jazz in a big city like London, and I wasn’t disappointed! Despite the expensive drinks, there was no cover for student night and the club had really great atmosphere. The next morning we met up again at the gigantic and fantastic British Museum. There is so much to see there, so we decided to download a Rick Steves guide to our iPods and see the ancient Egypt, Assyria, and Greece exhibits. It was great having the audio guide, and the exhibits were great. It’s always fun to see mummies! It was a beautiful day so we sat in a park near to Calder’s dorm and ate burritos before heading to an open mic night. I had never been to one before, but Josh prepared us for the best and the worst… and it was fun the majority of the time! I give a lot of credit to everyone who got up on the stage, but I will admit that a lot of it was pretty painful to watch. Some of the people were really funny though, and the audience was really forgiving and laughed a lot. After the show we went to Calder’s favorite pub that was decorated in typical English style, so it basically looked like the inside of a really nice Victorian/English house! And the beer was great and pretty cheap too.
For my last day in London, and before Calder and Josh headed to France, Calder’s parents insisted that we go on the London Eye. We weren’t planning on it because it was quite expensive, but they decided to treat us to it so we went. I’m really glad we did! It is basically this huge Ferris wheel that has capsules that hold about 12-15 people. You get a really amazing view of London, so it was a really great time to take pictures. It was a great end to my short stay in London… and now I am back in Finland! I will trail off here because this was such a gigantic post… and I will write again soon…

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, Kellie, what a fantastic post! I can't wait for the next chapter! Love you soooooo very much!
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. They weren't Soviet Troops who attacked the students on November 17, 1989, but special forces of Czech Police. And it happend on November 17 not 19.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Anonymous, for correcting my history! I am so embarrassed about publishing that incorrectly. I will be sure to check and double check my future entries for mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am surprised. I didn't expect you would make my comment public and even thank me for it. You have my respect. :) Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete