Sunday, April 24, 2011

Vacation in Spectacular Split, Croatia

Happy Easter everyone! Things are pretty quiet in Olomouc today – at least in the dorms. A lot of students went home for Easter, or are still on trips from the reading week. The town is pretty quiet too, but someone pointed out to me that the Czech Republic is quite an atheist country. So, that might be why there isn’t much going on for the holiday. Vienna was really gearing up for it though… and there were so many tourists there! It’s quite nice to be in low-key Olomouc again.

And I guess that’s where I need to tell about my vacation to Croatia! We had a fantastic time and everything went so smoothly. Flying was a fantastic choice – I have never been so relaxed while traveling. The places we stayed were fantastic and every person we dealt with was very friendly. I would recommend that everyone travel to Croatia!



Marliz (my friend from MSU), two of her roommates Matt and Kitsa, and I left on Saturday evening from Vienna, but I had been there the night before with an American friend from Olomouc and was able to see Bernardo for a bit. The flights were really short and we just had a layover in Zagreb, and we were in Split at 10 pm. We got really lucky and had a great taxi driver to our hotel for the first night and he gave us some tips for what to do during the week. Our hotel was very nice and I slept so well… And the weather was warm and flowers were in bloom! Sunday morning we called our taxi driver again to take us to the campsite we were staying in outside of Split in a town called Stobreč. And wow were we surprised when we saw our mobile home… right next to the beach! It was incredible to see the Adriatic Sea from every window and while sitting on our deck. It was the perfect way to spend a vacation.



Stobreč is a nice little town with just enough to keep us occupied at the campsite. There weren’t many people there because it is the low season, so we were happy to basically have the place to ourselves. It was very nice and quiet. The beach was beautiful – the coast of Croatia is really long and the water is incredibly blue and clear! There are also rocks on most of the beaches instead of sand, and that had its pluses and minuses. Stobreč is about a 20-minute bus ride from Split, which we went to 3 days in a row.


The first day we went into Split was so we could take a bus toward Dubrovnik… but I promised our cab driver Tony that I wouldn’t disclose the city we went to because it’s his family’s secret! But it was about an hour’s bus ride along the coast in the mountains, which was absolutely breathtaking. The city and beach we went to were perfect – surrounded by the ocean, quiet, clean, and the water was even bluer than in Split. We had a great day on the beach and had fantastic fish for dinner when we got back to Split. We turned in pretty early because we planned to take the ferry to the island of Brač the next day!



We spent the day in Supetar, Brač and had a wonderful relaxing day on the beaches – and the water was even bluer and clearer! I didn’t think it was possible, but Croatia proved me wrong. The ferry ride was about an hour long, but it was very comfortable sitting in the sun. The beaches were beautiful with great rocks in the water to climb around on.

There were quite a bit of young people on the island that day because of their Easter holiday, so that was interesting to see. We even had a nice chat with a violinist from Geneva! It’s great talking with people while traveling – so many interesting people to meet. We wanted to see the rock that was used to build part of the White House, but it was in a place on the island that required a bus ride. Our day was well spent on the beach though, and we headed back to Split
around six and explored the city of Split for a while before heading back to the camp.

Kitsa left us the next day to see her family in Greece, but we had a nice day walking around Split during the day.

We found a great place to see the whole city and took lots of pictures. Split is a really old city, and the core of it is actually built into the ruins of Diocletian’s Palace. A lot of it reminded me of Venice with the white marble and old archways. It was absolutely beautiful with something interesting to see around every corner. There were lots of shops and cafes – both inside the city and in the harbor. Split combines two of my favorite things – being on the coast and an old city! Naturally I fell in love with it.



We spent our last day in Stobreč on the beach relaxing and enjoying the sun. My skin of course was not happy with all the sun, but I managed to get a little color and still enjoyed being outside in the shade. We had to be at the airport Friday morning at 5, so we went to be early again on Thursday night. It was worth it to leave that early though, because we landed in Vienna at 9:00! Again, the most relaxed traveling of my life! The whole trip was really fantastic and I’m so glad I got to share it with a good friend from home. I was really happy to go on a vacation to some place warm – although, it wasn’t perfect beach weather yet. It was around 70 degrees all week, but the sun was so nice! I’m happy I got to see another ocean and to be in the Balkans again. I feel really unique in that I was able to take a vacation in Croatia… and like I said – I really recommend going! It is easy to get around and the prices are very reasonable. Even in the low season it is beautiful. I’ll remember this vacation forever.



And now I am back in Olomouc with Bernardo! I’m really excited that I get to show someone around my home for the semester, and to see him! It’s a really fantastic thing that we can see each other again after all these years. He’s really liking the life in the dorms with the other exchange students, and I am definitely happy to be back with them after being gone for a week. For the next couple of days I will try to relax and spend time with Bernardo, but after he leaves I really have to hit the books! There are only about 3 weeks left in the semester and I have multiple papers to write and tests to study for. I think it will all turn out ok, but just like every spring semester it is hard to concentrate with such beautiful weather! So, I don’t think I will be traveling much in the next couple of weeks... but I will be planning my summer travels! I’m definitely getting excited for that ☺.

No comments:

Post a Comment